Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Am A Christian

It's not always easy to hold your head high in the world and proclaim with loud voice "I am a Christian!" We're told our faith is a private thing, we're made to feel overbearing, or fanatical if we announce that we follow Christ and allow His teaching, his Spirit, His love define what we do and how we do it in the world.

I can't begin to count how many times I hear people quote the venerable St. Francis of Assisi when speaking of evangelizing and sharing the Good News; "Preach the gospel always, If necessary use words." Wise words, and deeply true. Yet I sometimes have the feeling that the people quoting him are hiding the active, obvious living out of their faith behind the words.

It's true, Jesus DID a lot. It's true too that we will be judged not so much on how many times we cried out "Jesus is Lord" as we will on what we have actually done - “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” (Matthew 25:31-46) - yet, sometimes isn't it nice to actually name under whose reign we are acting? While Francis counsels against ALWAYS speaking about the gospel, ALWAYS telling people about the Good News and who it is that we have gotten this Good News from...doesn't he also say that sometimes it's okay...sometimes maybe it's even necessary?

This all came to mind today with an email I received from one of our parishioners. Her daughter, who is 12, came home with a poem written at school about her faith in Christ.

Did I mention she's 12?

Do you remember speaking up about any firmly held belief at 12 years old? It's not the easiest thing in the world to do. I know I struggled with it. I know my own kids struggled and I know most kids in elementary and high school would rather eat broken glass than proclaim so loudly whose child they are, and what faith lies at the root of all their deeds and thoughts, feelings and desires.

Yet here it is, at least one courageous voice made all the more meaningful because she's not aware of just how courageous it is to (sometimes) lift your voice and tell the world;

I Am A Christian - By Ruth O'Reilly

I am:

Cheerful, life in Christ is good

Helpful, never too busy to serve others

Respectful, considerate of other’s dignity

I am:

Interested in my faith, there is so much to learn

Satisfied, God’s grace is all I need

Truthful, always prepared to say what is right

I am:

Involved in the activities of my Parish

Awed by the beauty of God’s creation

Natural, I’m glad to be who I am

I am this and so much more

I am a Christian

Thank-you Ruth, and your mom for sharing this with me and with us today.

Peace and God Bless

0 comments:

Post a Comment