Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Thanksgiving and The Carpenter

Thanksgiving is always a wonderful time to look back on the ways God has blessed our lives and give thanks. It is also a perfect time to look at those gifts we have been given and ask ourselves, "Am I doing justice to my skills, my talents, my treasures? Am I giving back what has been given to me? Am I helping to build the kingdom with Joy in my heart, or am I stingy? Does my giftedness move me to generosity with all I have, or do I hold back, afraid there will be nothing left in the end for me?"

It is on this theme that I share with you the following;

The Carpenter

A highly skilled carpenter had grown old was ready to retire. He approached his employer-contractor and told him of his plans to leave the house building business and live a more leisurely life with his family. He would miss the paycheck, but not the back-breaking labor...he was more than ready to retire.

The employer was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter was reluctant at first; hadn't his boss been listening to him? He was exhausted, physically, and emotionally. He hadn't come in today to be given another job, he needed to rest, it was time for him to be served for a change!

His employer was a very persistent man, not used to taking 'no' for an answer. In the end, the carpenter agreed to this proposal but secretly promised himself that he would make sure sure this was his last project...ever!

Distracted by his frustration at not being able to finally enjoy 'the good life' the carpenter didn't pay the same kind of attention to building this house as he normally might have. His heart just wasn't in the project and it was not at all up to his usual standard of work. He resorted to poor workmanship and used inferior materials. All-in-all, it was an unfortunate way to end his career.

When the job was done, the carpenter called his employer and showed him the house. The employer rejoiced and patted him on the back. He was especially impressed that he had managed to complete the project in so short a time. Then he turned to the carpenter and smiled. He handed over some papers and the key to the front door saying, “You have been such a good and faithful carpenter. Your work has helped to build this company into the respected business that it is today, please accept this wonderful house, as my gift to you!”

Peace and God Bless

0 comments:

Post a Comment