Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

40 Days Of Prayer And Reflection - The Way Of The Cross Station 1: Jesus Is Condemned

During Lent, we are called to realize that following Jesus doesn't mean just going to mass every week or being kind to others. To follow Jesus we must follow the Way of The Cross.

Catholics have a beautiful way of prayerfully entering into this very experience, a particular Lenten Devotion - or method of prayer - that invites us to immerse ourselves in the story and experience of the Cross. It is appropriately named "The Way Of The Cross" others may also refer to it as "The Stations Of The Cross" because the reflections and prayers are broken up into 14 separate 'stations'.

This devotion was originally brought back from the Holy Land by pilgrims who had spent time meditating on Jesus' Passion and Death as they physically walked from the Garden of Gethsemane to Calvary.

Praying these stations requires one to spend time with each scene in prayer and contemplation, not only on the words and actions of these events, but on how these words and actions are reflected in our own lives. From now until Good Friday (save for Sundays which retain their more celebratory flavor even during the weeks of Lent) we invite you to join us on a daily, prayerful 'walk' through this ancient Catholic prayer. May the graces you receive through these prayers help you to truly embrace the Easter hope and joy to come.

Station One - Jesus Is Condemned

We adore You O Christ and we praise you...


For by your Holy Cross, You have redeemed the world.

Matthew 27:22-24

"So when Pilate saw that he could do nothing, but rather that a riot was beginning, he took some water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, ‘I am innocent of this man’s blood; see to it yourselves.’"


Christ Speaks To Me: In Pilate's hands, I see my Father's will. Though Pilate is unjust, he is the lawful Governor and he has power over me.

And so the Son of God obeys.

If I can bow to Pilate's rule because this is my Father's will, can you refuse obedience to those just ones whom I place over you?

I Respond: My Jesus, my Lord, obedience cost you your life. For me it costs nothing more than an act of my will - and yet, it is so very hard for me to bend.

Remove the blinders from my eyes and help me to see that, however it may appear on the surface, it is you whom I obey in all things.

Lord, it is you.

Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment